Whether you choose to find an agent through a large, nationally known real estate firm or if you choose a local firm or independent real estate agent in Arizona, you will notice there are all kinds of designations and acronyms attached to different agents. You may see one, or a combination of two or more of these:
Let’s cover each of these so you become familiar with them and have the knowledge to choose an Arizona real estate agent whose experience and qualifications suit your needs.
Anyone claiming to be a real estate agent in Arizona should be licensed to sell real estate by the state to do so. In addition to that, real estate agents can further their professional careers and experience by attaining more certificates and licenses.
- A GRI (Graduate of Realtor Institute) is a designation arrived at through in-depth training in real estate legal and regulatory issues, standards of professionalism, training in the sales process and training in technology relevant to real estate sales. Each state has it’s own standards for the GRI.
- SRS (Seller Representative Specialist) certification is accredited by the Council of Real estate brokerage Managers and is also recognized by the National Association of Realtors. Agents with this certification must complete intensive coursework in the area of real estate sales and must also submit proof of successful transactions where the agent has acted only in the capacity of a sales representative.
- ABR (Accredited Buyer’s Representative) accreditation is given by the Real Estate Buyer’s Agent Council, which is a subdivision of the National Association of Realtors (NAR). The course work for the ABR is just as intense as the work for the SRS, and the ABR designees must also submit proof of successful closings where they have acted only in the capacity of a buyer’s agent.
- CRS (Certified Residential Specialist) is a designation given by the Council of Residential Specialists to only the top real estate agents and brokers in the nation. This designation must be applied for, and candidates must have the sales numbers to earn this designation. If you find an agent with this designation, you have a very motivated agent.
- CIAS (Certified Investor Agent Specialist) is a designation for a real estate professional who has had specific training to find, create, and close specifically with residential real estate investors.
- CRB (Certified Real Estate Broker Manager) is a highly respected designation. It is awarded to Realtors who have completed advanced educational and professional requirements. There are other certifications out there that you might notice, such as the MRP (Military Relocation Specialist), SRES (Seniors Real Estate Specialist) and GREEN (NAR’s Green Designation, for eco-friendly related real estate issues) but we have covered the most common ones here.
Real estate agents in Arizona do not need these extra certifications or designations, but when you are looking at a pool of potential agents to represent you in buying or selling your home, it goes without saying that the more trained and educated an agent has chosen to be, odds are that agent will be more successful and professional as well. So when sifting through agents, pay extra attention to the acronyms, because now you know what you are looking at! Disclaimer!
While there are a bunch of certifications and designations available to “real estate agents,” there is no substitute for good ol’ experience gained from selling hundreds of homes. In order to get your broker’s license, you have to be experienced (at least 20 transactions and 3+ full time years in the business). Once you become a broker you are also held to a “higher standard” than typical agents. Both Josh Hintzen and Morgan Hodges are real estate brokers in Scottsdale.
Regardless of whether or not your agent or broker maintains any of these designations or certifications, only the best agents and brokers have the experience and portfolio to back up their claims of being the best.
The proof is in the pudding. Josh and Morgan have more than enough experience to qualify as premium real estate brokers in AZ.